Monday 23 March 2015

Glutamates, histamines and Caffeine

8 months has passed now without vertigo, and more importantly, managed to get past summer without an attack for the first time in a long time. Secret ? Staying away from glutamates.

When I think back, I feel like there was a distinct relationship between caffeine (a stimulant), exhaustion and Glutamates. Let me summarise what it has affected my lifestyle

Caffeine

  • Reverses lethargy, the feeling of tiredness
  • Far increases normal training intensity
  • Causes insomnia
  • Increases Restless Leg Syndrome
  • Results in headaches the day after


Summer tends to be a period of difficulty sleeping for me. Maybe it's the heat, maybe it's the shorter dark nights. But one thing is definite, I am a lot more fatigued, where attacks usually hit.

I recently ingested a tiny amount of "artificial flavours" in a common wasabi sauce. Although it was only a minute amount, I was exhausted, and started developing panic attacks. I then realised I must have ingested some form of MSG somewhere, leading me to find it in the wasabi.

But what I realised was the extreme fatigue, the raised heart rates, nerve irritations, the panic attack - this is what it feels like in a full attack. From hindsight - this is the familiar feeling except worst, much much worst. 

All in all, I would say this is how MSG affects me - it -


  • Induces fatigue
  • feels like dread
  • causes difficulty breathing 
  • exaggerates nerve irritations
  • heavily increases heavy release of histamines
resulting in
  • Panic attacks
  • Chest pain
  • Pain in the arms and legs
  • Severe headache, migraines
  • Migraine Aura
  • Severe dizziness
  • Vomiting

Furthermore, on some occasions, MSG resulted in

  • Pressure and full ear
  • Tinnitus
  • Losing hearing especially in the lower frequencies
  • Numbness in the entire ear region including lobe
  • Lasts around 2-6 weeks
My question - did Caffeine and lack of sleep push one to over-exhaustion then MSG did the rest of the damage? Did caffeine and MSG deliver the deadly combination? This is certainly how it feels for me. If this is how you feel, I certainly would like to hear about it. 

Some references that supports my observation, maybe I haven't lost my mind altogether!

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1381677
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25031227










No comments:

Post a Comment